How to Get a Green Card Through a Military Spouse


Navigating the path to U.S. permanent residency (Green Card) can be a complex process, especially for those married to a member of the U.S. military. The journey, however, can be smoother with the right information and understanding of the process. This post aims to guide military spouses through the steps of acquiring a Green Card, highlighting the unique considerations and benefits afforded to military families.

Understanding Green Card Eligibility for Military Spouses

First and foremost, it’s important to establish eligibility. 

Eligibility for a Green Card as a military spouse hinges on several important factors. Understanding these will not only help in determining whether you can apply but also prepare you for the process ahead.

1. Relationship to a U.S. Military Member

The primary criterion is your relationship with a member of the U.S. military. The military member must be either:

  • A U.S. citizen
  • A Green Card holder (permanent resident)

This applies to spouses of active duty and reserve members across all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces – the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, as well as the National Guard.

2. Validity of Marriage

Your marriage must be legally valid. This means it must be recognized by the law in the place where it occurred. Same-sex marriages are also recognized for immigration purposes. You must provide evidence of the marriage, including:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Joint financial statements or leases
  • Photos together
  • Birth certificates of children born to the marriage, if any.

In cases of previous marriages, you must provide proof that those marriages have been legally terminated through divorce, death, or annulment.

3. Military Member’s Status

The military member’s status can affect the process. Active duty members may have access to additional support and expedited processes. Reserve members also receive benefits, but there might be slight variations in the available resources.

4. Spouse’s Current Location and Immigration Status

Your current location and immigration status play a significant role:

  • Inside the U.S.: If you are already in the U.S., your path involves adjusting your status. Your current immigration status (e.g., on a non-immigrant visa, parole) will influence the process.
  • Outside the U.S.: If you are abroad, you will go through consular processing. This process also applies if you are ineligible for adjustment of status in the U.S.
  • Entered Without Inspection: If you entered the U.S. without inspection, you might still be eligible under the “Parole in Place” policy specifically designed for military families.

5. Physical and Legal Admissibility

All applicants must pass admissibility criteria. This includes health examinations, criminal background checks, and ensuring no previous immigration violations that might bar you from obtaining a Green Card.

7. Special Circumstances: Parole in Place and Expedited Naturalization

Military spouses who might not typically be eligible for a Green Card due to their manner of entry into the U.S. can benefit from Parole in Place (PiP). PiP allows them to adjust their status without leaving the U.S., a unique provision for military families.

Furthermore, military spouses might have a streamlined path to U.S. citizenship. The residency requirements for naturalization can be reduced or waived, particularly beneficial for those stationed overseas.

Process of the Application

Step 1: Filing the Petition

The process begins with your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This form establishes the marital relationship to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Proof of the legitimacy of the marriage, such as marriage certificates, joint bank statements, and photographs, must accompany the petition.

For military families, there are often expedited processing options. It’s advisable to indicate your spouse’s military status on the form to potentially speed up the process.

Step 2: Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing

Once the I-130 petition is approved, the next steps depend on whether you are currently living inside or outside the United States.

  • Inside the United States: Adjustment of Status

If you’re already in the U.S., you’ll file for an Adjustment of Status (AoS) using Form I-485. This form is your application to adjust your status to that of a permanent resident. During this process, you’ll be required to undergo a medical examination and attend an interview at a USCIS office.

Military spouses may benefit from certain flexibilities in the AoS process, such as waivers for certain fees or flexibility in scheduling the required interview.

  • Outside the United States: Consular Processing

If you’re outside the U.S., you’ll go through consular processing. This involves applying for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Once the visa is granted, you can travel to the U.S. and will become a permanent resident upon entry.

Step 3: Attending the Interview and Providing Additional Documentation

Whether adjusting status or going through consular processing, you will need to attend an interview. For military families, there may be options to expedite or facilitate this interview, especially if the service member has orders that complicate scheduling.

During the interview, be prepared to answer questions about your marriage and life together. It’s essential to bring all necessary documentation, including proof of your spouse’s military service.

Step 4: Receiving Your Green Card

After a successful interview, the final step is the issuance of the Green Card. For those in the U.S., the card will be mailed to you. If you’re overseas, you’ll receive a visa to enter the U.S., and then your Green Card will arrive after you’ve entered the country.

Special Considerations for Military Spouses

Parole in Place (PiP)

Military spouses who entered the U.S. without inspection might be eligible for “Parole in Place,” a special provision that allows them to adjust status without leaving the U.S. This is a significant benefit, as it addresses the potential bars to re-entry that typically affect those who entered without inspection.


Military spouses may also have a streamlined path to U.S. citizenship. In some cases, the residency requirement for naturalization is reduced or waived entirely. This is particularly advantageous for spouses who spend significant time outside the U.S. due to their spouse’s military duties.

Support and Resources

The military offers various support systems and resources to help navigate the Green Card process. Legal assistance offices on military bases can provide guidance, and there are numerous programs and non-profits dedicated to assisting military families with immigration matters.


The journey to U.S. permanent residency as a military spouse is unique and comes with its set of challenges and benefits. Understanding the process, taking advantage of the resources available, and being prepared for each step can significantly ease the journey. Remember, every case is different, and staying informed and seeking the right support are key to successfully navigating this path. 

Becoming a Green Card holder as a military spouse is not just a bureaucratic achievement but a milestone that reflects the resilience and dedication of those who support their partners serving the nation.

Here at Costas Network, we support military families and are dedicated to making this process as easy as possible.


Recent Post

Parole in Place (PiP) for Military Spouses: A Closer Look

For military families, “Parole in Place” (PIP) offers a unique pathway for the spouses of U.S. military personnel to adjust their status and pursue lawful permanent residency, even if they initially entered the United States without inspection or overstayed their visa.

Obtaining a Green Card Through VAWA

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a landmark piece of legislation in the U.S., providing vital protections for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and other forms of abuse.